The Wright Pad

Just a place to drop your thoughts

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Writer’s Block (An Essay): The Skull Key That Locks Your Mentally Opened Doors

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Angelique Clark

PostSubject: Writer’s Block (An Essay): The Skull Key That Locks Your Mentally Opened Doors   Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:10 pm

This is a super random short essay I wrote in exactly 3 minutes and forty seconds.
Don't even know if it's true, it was just something I pounded out because I was kinda annoyed that I failed NaNoWriMo this year...
Your thoughts are much welcomed!
-Ace

Writer’s Block:
The Skull Key That Locks Your Mentally Opened Doors
___________________________© 2012

Writer’s block is a horrible disease of mind shortening that occurs to one who writes when their brain juice dries up. One minute, you’ll be flying over clouds, jotting down ideas and pages like the story is your life.

And then, something happens around the 89th page, possibly the 9th chapter. You wonder… What went wrong? You have all these suggestions and fantasies in your mind, in fact, you might even know your entire novel like the back of your hand.

But it just won’t get out of your head, down your arm, and through that pencil or keyboard onto the paper or screen. You want to rip your hair out. You want to scream. You want to ask your Writer’s Block… WHY ME?!

It won’t answer, however. It doesn’t like to speak. It won’t tell you ANYTHING. It won’t explain WHY you can’t seem to write, and if your Writer’s Block should decide to reply, it will only be to say… GIVE UP.

You’ll find the time, for you cannot write, to scan the internet. Literary websites will tell you all kinds of things, from DO YOUR BEST to DON’T GIVE UP! You wonder now how they can say that, when all your hair is on the ground and you’ve woken up the neighborhood.

Writer’s Block is a mental disability, temporary, but agonizing. Many to most people who consider themselves under the title of “writer” come across the situation countless times in their hobby or career. It’s just a cold fact that Writer’s Block is the skull key that is unstoppable able to close all your doors for a deadly winter of emptiness.

You can make Writer’s Block go away to a degree, though. Start fresh with a short story or poem, and on purposely completely forget your novel or other piece. Do not think about your current state of WB. Think, otherwise, of what you might find over the hill, and on the other side once your mental health is restored, and you can finish writing the world.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://astainedroughdraft.wordpress.com
Shea Ballard

PostSubject: Re: Writer’s Block (An Essay): The Skull Key That Locks Your Mentally Opened Doors   Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:31 am

When it comes to writing whole books, I always start with an outline and a pretty good idea of where I'm going with my story. But still, writer's block occurs. As your writing things happen. New ideas occur. New characters pop up. Your story tells you where it wants to go. I think when we get writer's block, it's that we're having trouble listening to our story.

This was a good essay, Ace, and very thought-provoking.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Angelique Clark

PostSubject: Re: Writer’s Block (An Essay): The Skull Key That Locks Your Mentally Opened Doors   Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:46 am

Thanks Shea.
-Ace
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://astainedroughdraft.wordpress.com
barbtaub

PostSubject: Re: Writer’s Block (An Essay): The Skull Key That Locks Your Mentally Opened Doors   Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:48 pm

Back when I was working as a journalist, I found that writers block combined with a deadline was incredibly useful. Not for curing the writers block, of course, but because somehow I could always think of other things that just HAD to be done first. Like the dishes, my nails, vacuuming, changing the litter box...

Sadly, now that I'm retired and all my days are Saturdays, there are no deadlines for my writers block to threaten. My nails are a mess...
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://barbtaub.com
Shea Ballard

PostSubject: Re: Writer’s Block (An Essay): The Skull Key That Locks Your Mentally Opened Doors   Sat Dec 01, 2012 2:28 pm

You're in England? What part?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
barbtaub

PostSubject: Re: Writer’s Block (An Essay): The Skull Key That Locks Your Mentally Opened Doors   Sat Dec 01, 2012 2:38 pm

We live in the north of England. (Just outside of Durham if you know that area.)
Back to top Go down
Shea Ballard

PostSubject: Re: Writer’s Block (An Essay): The Skull Key That Locks Your Mentally Opened Doors   Sat Dec 01, 2012 5:10 pm

Found it. I have a map of the UK and Ireland on my wall. It's south of Newcastle and well north of the Humber. I went on YouTube and listened to a few people with Newcastle/Durham accents. It sounds like what I heard in Billy Elliot, Scottish light to my ears. Very different from the London accents I'm most familiar with.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
barbtaub

PostSubject: Re: Writer’s Block (An Essay): The Skull Key That Locks Your Mentally Opened Doors   Sat Dec 01, 2012 5:14 pm

Shea Ballard wrote:
Found it. I have a map of the UK and Ireland on my wall. It's south of Newcastle and well north of the Humber. I went on YouTube and listened to a few people with Newcastle/Durham accents. It sounds like what I heard in Billy Elliot, Scottish light to my ears. Very different from the London accents I'm most familiar with.

That's one of the most amazing things about living here. You can go 20 miles and the accents are so different. And locally (former coal-producing villages) there is something called "Geordie" that's practically a different language entirely.
Back to top Go down
Shea Ballard

PostSubject: Re: Writer’s Block (An Essay): The Skull Key That Locks Your Mentally Opened Doors   Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:08 pm

I have heard of Geordie. I think I read once that it is the closest thing to the original Anglo Saxon we used to speak I think I'll go listen to some Geordie now.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Writer’s Block (An Essay): The Skull Key That Locks Your Mentally Opened Doors   

Back to top Go down

Writer’s Block (An Essay): The Skull Key That Locks Your Mentally Opened Doors
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1